ANNOUNCING THE 2018 OPEN EARS FESTIVAL EMERGING COMPOSITION COMPETITION:
The Open Ears Festival is thrilled to announce its 2018 composition competition for emerging composers! The festival is seeking proposals for the premiere of a piece that is to take place at Victoria Park (Kitchener, ON) during the festival (May 30-June 3, 2018). The festival is seeking works that demonstrate elements and awareness of soundscape, the environment, improvisation, play with the space available, and are suitable for a non-traditional performance environment in which audience members can move about freely.
Eligibility & Requirements
· Composers must be Canadian citizens or permanent Canadian residents.
· Composers must be between the ages of 18-30.
· Works proposed must be suitable for open instrumentation, up to 99 players and to take place outdoors in a park.
· Works must be between 20-60 minutes in length.
· Proposals must be for acoustic composition, there will be no accommodation for compositions involving technology.
· Entrants must submit a proposal of approximately 400-500 words detailing the work.
· Entrants must submit 3 samples of work from no earlier than 2013 that vary in instrumentation.
· Submissions should include 1 proposal, 3 samples of previous works from no earlier than 2013 (including scores and audio/video if necessary), and brief biography of the composer. Please forward to “email@example.com”
· Composers may submit multiple entries.
· *All submissions must be received by March 1st, 2018. *Deadline extended until March 8th, 2018*
· Winning entrant will receive a premiere of the proposed work during the 2018 Open Ears Festival, as well as an archival recording of the premiere.
· Winner will also receive access to Dorico notation software, valued at $750 CAD.
· Winner will receive $500 CAD.
For further inquiries about the 2018 composition competition, please contact “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
~Please forward to all relevant outlets~